Sunday, January 16, 2011

Obsessive Hoarding?

Have you seen that show Hoarders on A&E?  I find it enthralling and gruesome at the same time.  It is the story of people that simply can not throw anything they have ever purchased, received as a gift of simply found on the street away.  Worse still they can not stop buying more stuff, usually useless stuff.  

My husband claims I have this problem...  He is totally wrong!  I buy really useful stuff and yes I stockpile it!  It is so much better to have the stuff your family needs right there in the pantry before you need it.

Well, have you ever paid just 50 cents for a tube of Crest Pro Health?  I have and it is very comforting to know that I have 8 tubes, which should last the whole year!  If you did the math that is $4.00 for 8 tubes of Crest Pro Health toothpaste, that is 50 cents less then it cost to buy one tube at regular price.  That is less then you pay for regular toothpaste from China at the Dollar Store.  Doing the math on the savings:  $32.00 on a years worth of toothpaste!

Did you know that I save 50-75% off of household items, beauty products and even pantry items like spaghetti sauce?  If I told you I got a bottle of Windex (32oz) for $1.50 and that it retails for nearly $5.00 every week, would you think I was hoarding if I bought 2?  What about Lysol Cleaning wipes, they were buy one get one free at Walgreen's last week.  That typically means that you get 2 boxes of 35 wipes for $3.75.  I got it even better!  I used their buy one get one free deal to buy one get three free and I spent $2.75 for 4 boxes of 35 wipes.  That is 140 wipes for just $2.75, which would normally cost $15.00!  Yeah I got more then just the 4, I got a total of  boxes for just $3.38 after my coupons.  Doing the math on the savings:  $11.62 on nearly a years worth of cleaning wipes.

If you add that up so far I have saved $43.62, on only 2 of the products we buy all the time!  

Is it still hoarding or is it obsessive savings?

How about what I saved on Johnson and Johnson's Baby bubble bath?  They were on sale at Walgreen's, basically it was 25% off each bottle.  They normally run about $5.00 each.  What happens when you buy 2 at $4.49, subtract 25% and then take an additional $1.00 off each bottle?  Well it only cost $4.73 for 2 bottles of bubble bath.  If you have kids, you know that can last anywhere from a week to well months and months.  Keep it out of the kids reach and it should last about 4 months for 3 little boys.  Doing the math on the savings:  $4.25 on two bottles.  
 
How about buy 2 Johnson and Johnson's Band AId Brand kids Band-Aids for 50% off?  I did it at Walgreen's with their store coupon $1.50 off each product and $1.50 off 2 Band-Aids coupon from the manufacturer.  The total cost for 2 Band-aid boxes just $2.98, for a total of 80 kids band aids!  Doing the math on the savings:  $4.50 on two boxes of band-aids.

What could you do with $52.37 back in your wallet?  What if I told you this week I purchased about 4 months worth of cleaning products, a months worth of spaghetti sauce, months worth of juice boxes  popsicles, chicken nuggets, a weeks worth of meat and veggies,and one moths worth of pizza.  If I told you that I spent $225.40 on all of it and saved $210.86.  

The savings paid me $26.36 per hour it took me to cut coupons, organize the grocery list by the best deals at each store, and actually shop and drive.  Would you say it is worth it to cut the coupons? Maybe even hoard the toothpaste and cleaning supplies?

Did I mention my hair dye cost me only 20 cents per box?

No comments:

Post a Comment