Thursday, February 10, 2011

Problems in the real world with ADD

Problems with ADHD today.  All the writing in the world on the calendar, planner don't help if you got it in your head wrong.  I wrote it down right.  

I was 1 hour late to an appointment.  I was absolutely certain I was on time.  I can't explain to you how annoying it is to think "they" got it wrong, only to learn you got it all wrong.  

Thoughts like, "They must have changed it some time and not told me".  "Why did they not call me?"  "Did my husband get the message and then not tell me?"  Other much uglier thoughts happen while the staff tells you that you will need to wait for a new appointment.  

If your normal, this is a rare occurrence.  Maybe you forget something once a year?  Or miss an appointment because you got caught in some bad, bad traffic.  But if you are ADHD or ADD this happens far more often.  For me this is not unusual, certainly aggravating, but happens about once a month for doctor's appointments and often for paying bills on time.    Oh, that reminds me I need to pay my credit card.  Hold on I will be right back...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Okay, more aggravation!   Remember I left the car unlocked last month, and someone took my wallet and things from my car?  Well, I canceled the cards and now I need to wait for the bank to re-confirm my checking account information before I can make a payment.  Great...will it be late?  Not sure.  Worse I think the lady told me when the new card came I would need to do that again.  Misplaced the reminder to do that earlier!

So back to that appointment snafu.  I came back home and checked for voicemails, but alas just like I thought they never called me to remind me about the appointment.  A reminder call, which usually happens for this doctors office could have alerted me to the fact my thinking was wrong! And maybe would have prompted me to take a closer look at the planner and calendar.  Funny the office insisted it called me, I may be fallible, but my Magic Jack voicemail never is.  I guess they never called........nope, still no message.   

If you think the point is it is their fault that they didn't call then you missed the anger, frustration, anxiety and embarrassment of having missed the appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment