Monday, May 2, 2011

What is Love?!

Let me frame where I am in my life today. I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, a husband, a car that is paid off, a year old bankruptcy, no job, a crazy and ridiculously large family, no college degree, a pile of a lot of little things that need to be done, and money I owe to people I cant afford to pay.

So why this question now? I mean I have been married only once and for nearly 9 years.

I saw Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, 2nd Cousins, friends of the family and people everyone wished didn't come. I witnessed love this weekend in a way I haven't seen in years. A baby, only 18 and just days from his 19th, was finally buried this past Saturday. I saw family members, I saw them be normal, no one physically fought and I didn't see anyone start an argument. A dramatic change from what I remember of the family I hide from.

I think love is hard to explain, however it is easy to witness. I saw aunts comfort each other, I felt cousins taking care of kin. I saw simple examples of care, a glass of water being passed to another, a box of tissues offered. I watched hugs, gentle rubs on the back, hands being held and compassionate words being given freely. Yes I saw anger expressed by grieving members, but I also watched as others gave what comfort they could. I can say I was pleased by this.

Yes, I cried. I cried mostly because it was hard to see my Aunt in so much pain and hard to imagine the baby I remember as a boy about to come of age

No comments:

Post a Comment